Tuesday, May 1, 2012

If you are a slap hitter, a MUST READ is the excellent article by Andrea Hawkins online at ESPNHS Softball.


Please CLICK HERE to read the entire ESPNHS article titled Secrets of a Slap hitter.

Secrets...
 HERE ARE ONLY A FEW QUOTES from Andrea's article, but, again, please read the full story for all of her secrets!

“I am a slapper... My goal is to hit the ball to the left side of the infield, utilize my speed to get on base and to put pressure on the defense. 

Andrea Hawkin

“Being able to read the defense allows me to determine if I am going to slap, bunt or swing away, and that keeps the defense guessing.

“When I come up to bat, I usually show bunt the first pitch to see how the second baseman moves... The shortstop might even break to second base. If I see this, I know I can fake bunt, slap and get on first safely...

“If the field is hard, I slap the ball into the ground to get a high bounce.

“If the defense is playing in, I can pop it over the infielders' heads as a blooper shot.

“A slapper's goal is to put the ball in play, get on base, then steal a base to get into scoring position and score on the next base hit.”

Andrea Hawkins is a senior center fielder for Bay City (Texas) and Texas Impact Gold. She has signed to play at Alabama.


No comments:

Post a Comment