Tuesday, April 24, 2012


Receives standing ovation  
Absolutely perfect, “ historic”, 
hurls no-hitter, strikes out 21

Condense from full USA Today article 
Photo from The Westerly Sun

“There are perfect games and then there are perfect games.

“Stonington (Conn.) High pitcher Andrea Chiaradio completed the rarest of feats Saturday afternoon, striking out all 21 batters she faced during the team's 3-0 win over Norwich (Conn.) Free Academy...  

 Andrea Chiaradio
“'This was my first no-hitter in high school," Chiaradio told TheWesterly (Conn.) Sun. "I probably was aware of it in about the fifth inning when a few of the girls on the bench said something about it when we were at bat. I knocked on wood. I tried not to think about it and not to psyche myself out. I just concentrated on getting the rest of the outs."

“Stonington coach Ann-Marie Houle told the paper that she and the other players were aware something special was happening from about the third inning on.

“'I was thinking no-hitter and then perfect game (as the game progressed), but not with 21 strikeouts," Houle said. "That's unheard of. It's historic. I was tearing up a little at the end when she got a standing ovation."

“Chiaradio, the team's No. 1 pitcher, recalled later that she went to a few 3-2 counts, the last one in the sixth inning...

“'They tried bunting a few times," Chiaradio said, "but they either fouled it off or just couldn't get it down.

“'The last batter was left-handed and fouled a few pitches off. I got kind of nervous. Then I threw a fastball on the outside corner for the last strike and it was all over.'”

See also theday.com story / Yahoo!Sports coverage

Click on arrow below for Andrea Chiaradio "Skills Video"...

No comments:

Post a Comment